Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New Mexican

So as Mr. O and I made our way to Nordstrom Rack yesterday we brainstormed ideas for dinner.  So far I had made Thai and Greek inspired food, so we continued with the down our version of take-out path and choose Mexican.  We usually make a marinade with a taco seasoning package and then grill the chicken.  However, we wanted to try something new.  I turned to my favorite website Gina's Skinny Taste and searched Latin inspired recipes.  If you haven't figured it out, I like recipes that have a lot flavor and that are healthy.  We choose Chicken Ropa Vieja with Cilantro Lime Rice and corn and black bean salad.  We had been out all day running errands so using the slow cooker wasn't an option.  So we simmered the chicken on the stove.
Chicken simmering on the stove

Rice cooking
So we followed the recipe up until this point.  We forgot a couple of ingredients at the store and wanted to finish making our dinner.  We took out the chicken and set it aside on a plate to be shredded.  Then I took all the ingredients that were cooking in the pot and put it in the blender.



Once the ingredients were pureed I placed it back on the stove so the sauce could reduce.  I added 1/4 cup white wine, 2 cups of chicken broth, 2 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. garlic powder, and a dash of Cholula hot sauce.  I turned the stovetop on high and let the sauce reduce.



Once the sauce started to reduce, I put the shredded chicken in and let it simmer together.


  
And the finished product! Shredded chicken, cilantro lime rice, guacamole, corn and black bean salad...major yum!!!  I am really enjoying cooking and sharing my recipes.  I have to warn you next Tuesday is my anniversay and Mr. O and I are going to a concert, so no cooking.  Hopefully, the rain will go away and we can break out the grill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment